Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Wednesday 2 June 2010

A Tale of Two Days

yesterday I lost $40 over 8000 hands. Today I won $50 over 4000. This is the way it goes sometimes, I was pretty demoralised yesterday but resolved to play as well as I could today to try to ride out the downswing. I also adjusted my strategy somewhat. I did a little bit of research and there are a few things I could be doing differently and I'm trying to take it all on board and adjust for the better. The first is stealing the blinds more often to try and offset playing a few more weaker hands out of position. The other is trying to see a few less showdowns. I hand read fairly well for these limits but even so I think I'm not saving enough river bets which is chipping at my profit somewhat. Another thing I tried to do today was some work on equities. My thoughts had been clouded somewhat recently as there are so many reasons for betting written about online: Protection, Value, Bluff, Semi-bluff, Blocker etc etc. In reality the EV equation is pretty simple and I think alot of people over complicate things. Of course using the EV equation we can certainly justify those reasons for betting listed above, but I prefer to think of things in a simpler straight forward way. Betting really can be narrowed down to two things; betting for value (where our equity is better than villain) or bluffing (where our equity is worse than villain). Betting for protection is just value betting where villain's equity is a little closer to ours (hands with draws usually hover around 33% equity versus a made hand). Semi bluffing is just bluffing where our equity is a little closer to villains (ie when we're in the 33% equity player's shoes). Anyway, I'll spend tomorrow morning working on some of this and maybe pick some hands from my database to revise with. Once I can quickly figure out decent betting lines based upon equity I think I'll become a much better player. GL

3 comments:

  1. how on earth did u manage to play 8000 hands?

    i think stealing the blinds is essential . i raise 3x with any hand and fold everything bar premium hands to a re-raise.

    i will only play blind on blind with an above average hand . 3x raise , occasional limp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, it was tough! four tabling gets me through about 1k hands/hour, so I must have played for 8 hours. Didn't seem like that, but 8 hours for -$40 is pretty depressing! I've truly no idea why I can play Rush for so long, I've always struggled to motivate myself to play in the past. Maybe it's the fact that there's no downtime between hands; that I'm always involved in post flop play - which is the reason I also love HU poker. Anyway, your strategy sounds similar to mine, do you play 6-max or Full Ring? Simon

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm playing FR , extremely tight , maybe 9/7 . not overly c-betting tho and always challenging min raisers with pairs and suities. regards, adam

    ReplyDelete