Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Wednesday 16 June 2010

The hard work begins

Just had a 3-buyin loss session, which I was expecting since I'd won like 7 on the trot or something. It could have been better but I tried a three street bluff versus someone I viewed as a tight passive and believed I could get to fold their top pair or draw range on a brick river after I'd double barrelled. Didn't work out but I'll have to look at the hand closer to decide for sure if my river bluff was correct. The main thing is that I've loosened up with a view to practising what I was talking about in previous blog posts about learning to count combinations. I may have to cut down on tables to get good at this; I'm very determined to get good at this process. Let me elaborate a little:
Say we have KTo on a K95r and c-bet a loose passive who calls. He is playing around 30% of hands, so he could have maybe a few hands with a king in, lets say KQ, KJ or KT which numbers 2x4x2+2x3 = 22 combinations, and some suited connectors for gut shot draws: 67s, 68s, 78s; TJs, TQs, JQs; all for 24 combinations in total. So the draws and made hands weigh up pretty equally. But now say another K turns, his range now has 24 draws but only 11 made hands. So our best betting line may no longer be to bet the turn but to check back and allow the draws (which make up most of his range) to bluff the river once they miss. I'm convinced that this is the way the great players think about hands during play, and it's a thinking process that I'm determined to mimick. But it's hard work, it will take alot of time and hand study for this to become easy to do but it's work that I'm very prepared to do to ensure that I realise my ambition of being a tough NLHE player. GL

2 comments:

  1. fascinating stuff . i still can't get off this train . i'm rootin for ya (....so that i can get coaching from ya when you've finally figured it out.....lol). regards, adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. is it my MISconception or is rush easier with a BIG stack? adam

    ReplyDelete