Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Tuesday 22 June 2010

Hi. Running well, and confirmation of an idea

Well I've laid waste to that 13 buy-in downswing now and made a tidy sum more. The time is fast approaching when I really need to move up to 25NL. I have a little money that I may top up with to give myself around 60 buy-ins for that limit. If all goes well I could be in the 50NL (Rush) games by the Autumn. I am certainly running well over the last 10K hands so I should wait until things have settled down again before I make the leap.
Becoming a NIT again!
For the last 50K hands or so I'd loosened up in an effort to improve my play and also my BB/100 rate. But something I touched on a few weeks back has resurfaced - a pro poker player mentioned the $/hr vs. BB/100 as far as it concerns Rush poker. He basically confirmed my earlier suspicion that we may be losing $/hr by playing too loosely. In other words the more we fold the more we'll see aces. So I have begun to nit up again. Not as tight as before, but more than lately. It suprised me today how much I noticed the big hands at my tables. I'm allowing myself the chance to get them more often by cutting out marginal raises. It's a balance that needs to be struck, and I think I'm pretty close to optimal now. GL!

3 comments:

  1. all v positive . i am gettin v excited for ya.
    wot is your take on mid to mid high pairs and suited connectors, esp when facing a 3x raise?
    regards
    adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I play mid to high pairs always from every position when first in and I also play them for a raise. I think that this is the best way to play them because they often win at showdown even without hitting a set. Suited connectors are a little different for me. If I was playing in a tough game, I might raise them from early position so that my opponents had a harder time with my ranges but in the micros I muck them in all but the late positions. Facing a raise, I still play all of the middle pairs for the same reasons as before, the combination of set value and showdown value means they should usually be played versus a single raise. I will call with suited connectors also, but only if I have the button or cut off seats because the extra positional EV makes the difference for those hands in my humble opinion. Wow, long reply, hope it made sense. You might want to check with a more experienced player though, I don't feel I am quite good enough to give solid advice yet. Hope the tables are treating you well :) Simon

    ReplyDelete