Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Wednesday 19 May 2010

Two hands I recently played pretty poorly


He had very loose aggressive stats so I thought that JJ was strong enough to four bet get it in versus his 3-bet range. On the flop I'm pot committed but my shove is a critical mistake; with two aces on the board and figuring him for plenty of air type hands that don't have an ace in them I decided to shove. Basically the fact that there are two aces out there makes it less likely that he has one. However, if he's bluff shoving some of those hands on the turn it is much, much better (EV wise) to check back and call a shove on the turn. When I started thinking about what hands he'd float my four bet out of position with I just couldn't figure out an appropriate range. If he's calling with AQ then it may include hands like pocket pairs but our flop shove is only good if he's actually going to call with some of those. In reality he was pretty loose so he may have made a call with 99 or TT but we can't be sure. So yeah, in the heat of the moment I took the incorrect line. Either way I'd have stacked off but in EV terms the line I took was inferior to checking back and calling a turn shove.

This hand played absolutely fine until the turn. Flopzilla tells me that the kind of hands that would float the flop c-bet (I used the range AQ, JJ, TT, KQ, AJs) would hit that flop and beat my hand 22% of the time. I think I certainly should be value betting the flop. The turn ace however hits every single one of those hands I mentioned and we are beating none of them. So check call should have been check fold. In truth I think I was tilting a little after the first hand. Being unlucky doesn't tilt me, playing poorly does!! I guess this is a good thing though because it keeps me trying to improve. GL

No comments:

Post a Comment