Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Friday 7 May 2010

A much better RUSH session


Just played a few hundred hands today but won about $27. This undoes the bad bluff I ran last night, and just goes to show that one big mistake can really affect a player's profit. In future I'm going to have to be super careful in big pots. If I'm going to make a mistake, make sure I do it in the little ones. One thing I've noticed in these Rush micro 6-max games so far is that there is very little check raising going on. So we can make tons of money by c-betting almost every flop. Players play their hands on absolute strength. If they pair, they call. If not, they fold. Some of them will even fold anything but top pair +. This has allowed me to arrest the non showdown losses somewhat - which is mainly caused by the blinds. FR is an easier cash game because the blinds do not eat up so much of your winnings. In 6 max, we are always having to play loosely in late position to win some of this blind money back - thievery basically. This is why multitabling 6-max can be so difficult, it's hard to play a wide range well when we're concentrating on other things. The rest of our profit comes from hand reading well and trying to get as much value as possible while making big laydowns and bluff catching well. I think I did this effectively today but there was one hand which I messed up.
Basically due to his raise size and bet timing I thought he had a really strong range. Something like {JJ+, AK}, which led me to flat call in a spot where I'd usually 3-bet. On the flop I took some time to decide what to do, but in hind sight I think I should check raise all - in. A flop donk lead might have been a good line too. I remember thinking that I'd try and let him bluff off his stack on the turn with his unpaired range and also thought he'd likely value bet the rest of his range - as well as for protection. When he checks behind though I should at least have tried to get him to hero call me on the river by leading. I just hoped he'd stab the river if I checked. So I missed out on several dollars of value which tilted me for a couple of hands. In poker it's critical we maximise our showdown winnings by eeking out every last piece of value we can. Here I got it all wrong.
The great thing about Rush is the volume we can play. Eventually I'd like to be able to play four tables of FR to get through 800 or so hands per hour and 20k or so per month. The way I see it, the more hands I play the better I'll get. Of course I'll play HUSNGs too, they're still a better money maker IMO.
EDIT: Just played some FR Rush, and I think I'll stick with that as a cash option as it seems easier than 6-max. We can be tighter without worrying about the blinds eating us alive. Plus it exaggerates our edge versus players who are clueless about position and 3-bet your UTG raise and get it in with 99. I was also able to four table without too many problems so I should really be able to churn through thousands of hands very quickly which is obviously a really good result. I figure 800 hands per hour is possible this way. So I could potentially do 16k hands a week if I really put my mind to it. That is awesome! I'd learn so much. Anyway long post over, GL.

No comments:

Post a Comment