Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Wednesday 12 August 2009

Update, a hand history and river betting mistakes

Bankroll is $120.42 after some cash this afternoon. Below is a hand history for the biggest pot played. Afterwards (beneath the history) I will discuss common mistakes at these stakes that are made on the river, as demonstrated in the hand. Until recently I made the same errors but cutting them out has resulted in significant improvement to my cash game profits.

Free hand converter brought to you by CardRunners

Seat 1: RRMO 69 ($2.58)
Seat 2: Camisassa ($8.79)
Seat 3: mimile974 ($6.05)
Seat 4: King_Herfst ($5) -
Seat 5: BardingPike ($11.53) -
Seat 6: BankoBet ($11.35) -


PRE-FLOP:

BardingPike posts small blind $0.02
BankoBet posts BIG blind $0.05
Dealt To: BankoBet


CALL RRMO 69 ($0.05)
CALL Camisassa ($0.05)
CALL mimile974 ($0.05)
FOLD King_Herfst
FOLD BardingPike
CHECK BankoBet


FLOP:

Pot: $0.22
   

CHECK BankoBet
BET RRMO 69 ($0.15)
FOLD Camisassa
RAISE mimile974 ($0.30)
CALL BankoBet ($0.30)
CALL RRMO 69 ($0.15)


TURN:

Pot: $1.12
     

CHECK BankoBet
BET RRMO 69 ($0.23)
RAISE mimile974 ($0.46)
RAISE BankoBet ($1)
CALL RRMO 69 ($0.77)
CALL mimile974 ($0.54)


RIVER:

Pot: $4.12
      

BET BankoBet ($3)
CALL RRMO 69 ($1.23)
RAISE mimile974 ($4.70)
CALL BankoBet ($1.70)


SHOWDOWN:
mimile974:

BankoBet:

RRMO 69:


BankoBet collected $6.59 from side pot 1BankoBet collected $7.46 from main pot

SUMMARY:
Total pot: $14Main pot: $7
Side pot: $6
Rake: $0.70

Final Board:
     

Seat 1: RRMO 69 showed [Ad Ah] and lost with three of a kind, Aces - Net Gain/Loss: ($-0.38)
  
Seat 2: Camisassa folded on the Flop - Net Gain/Loss: ($0)
Seat 3: mimile974 showed [4s Ts] and lost with two pair, Tens and Fours - Net Gain/Loss: ($-5.31)
  
Seat 4: King_Herfst button folded before Flop didnt bet - Net Gain/Loss: ($0)
Seat 5: BardingPike small blind folded before Flop - Net Gain/Loss: ($-0.02)
Seat 6: BankoBet big blind showed [3c Kc] and won 14.05 with a flush, Ace high - Net Gain/Loss: ($13.46)


Free hand converter brought to you by CardRunners

When the river comes around, all draws have either hit or missed and so the only consideration is whether you can get any extra value by betting (by being called by weaker hands), whether your hand has some showdown value if you don't bet or whether your hand's only value comes by getting your opponents to fold. This means that great hands and missed draws should generally bet and average hands should call or check or check/call. In the hand above, I have the nuts so clearly I need to try and get as much value as possible. I am betting, hoping for a call. The second player makes a mistake by reraising IMO. I don't think there are many hands that will call his raise which are weaker. Some maybe, but with three to a flush on the board I feel this is a mistake. So a call is ok, as is a fold. The third player's play is atrocious. Not only have I showed strength but so has the second player. What this player is hoping to beat I've no real idea. His best play by a country mile was to fold. So when we are at the river it is essential we figure out what our goal is. This is what makes the river probably the easiest street to master but players still make significant mistakes here.

No comments:

Post a Comment