Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Thursday 7 January 2010

Game Review #50


Ok, thought I'd start something called the game review. I'll discuss the last 50 games and try and decipher any progress I've made with my game during that time. Here's the graph; as you can see, a few exciting upwards trends but every time crashing down to earth with a three/four buy - in loss. Basically, the graph suggests that I am currently only break even in these games. That's certainly something that could be true since I've only just started studying these games and my knowledge is at the primary school stage so to speak. So basically I'm pretty happy with that. I'm not getting pwned by these players and feel pretty happy so far with my game at this early stage.
Knowledge Gained?
I went around a friends house the other day and sat with him during a micro stakes cash game. I found myself offering alot of advice and realised how much my knowledge had improved recently. Similarly I sat back in a cash game a few days back and pretty much ran over the entire table using the new knowledge I've learned.
Bet Sizing
I think I'm becoming better at bet sizing, realising that implied odds play an important role on early streets and that putting villain on a hand range should determine bet sizing on the river. I'm still way short of being good at this but I used to just auto bet 3/4 pot so def an improvement in this area.
Bluffing
The hidden cards video really showed me how important board texture was to determining how successful a bluff would be. Understanding how much showdown equity we have also helps us to make the decision as to whether we should bluff or not. Finally it helps alot if we can represent a hand. If we float on some board with a gutshot but then one of the lower cards pairs we have loads of fold equity by then raising. But this wouldn't usually be good with a hand that might have some showdown value anyway eg a pocket pair.
Less Weak Play
I am also playing looser post flop by counting my outs and considering pot odds more. I'd never previously counted back door outs or played gutshots at all so I'm much less easy to run over now. It's added some unpredictable play to my locker which was much needed. Also learned to always use effective stack sizes to help with decision making. God I could go on and on thinking about it. Maybe I'll just leave it at that for now. I think those are the main points.
Conclusion
Wow, despite only breaking even in the last 50 games I feel my poker game has improved probably as much as it ever has since studying these heads up vids. If anyone wants to launch their poker game to the next level I really recommend HUSNGs to do it. Now, reflection over, must get back to learning some more. GL all

No comments:

Post a Comment