Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Thursday 21 January 2010

Evening's play


Played OK. Made a few mistakes, but also thought I played some hands really well. I am also amazed at how stupid I am sometimes. Just noticed the 'advanced search' tickbox on sharkscope so was able to filter the $5 only HU games from the $10 - which I've run terrible in so far. The graph looks much, much better from my perspective. I felt I was beating the $5 games and this shows I have so far - tho still a very small sample obv. The ROI figure is 15% which is very good, and probably above my true expectation. I think what I'll do is play on until 100 games at $5 and then put some more funds in to give me 20 buy-ins for the $10 games and move up levels - providing I'm still beating the $5 games for a good ROI by that point. So that's a goal I can aim for - 32 games to go.
Things I've noticed about the $5 regs
They tend to come in one of two 'packages'.
1. Loose calling range pre, very tight range to continue on flop. My strategy against these players is generally raise good hands, limp weaker and c-bet/stab at most flops. This is allowing me to build chip leads before the blinds increase.
2. Loose calling range pre, loose calling range post. Now I'm still raising my good hands and limping weaker ones, but c-betting/stabbing only at those boards that I have some equity in. Say a gutshot and back door flush draw or better. This way villain sees I'm still bluffing some of the time so this allows me to get loads of calls when I have made hands.
Obv my overall strategy is a little more complex than that, but this is a real pattern I've started to recognize in most of the opponents so far. The biggest mistake I'm making is paying off the first type of player when I have something like top pair. I really think their range for continuing is so narrow that top pair weak kicker is a fold to any kind of aggression from this player type. Players like this do NOT adjust, and they do NOT exploit either. I folded a couple of decent hands against one of these players tonight which suggests that I may have learned this lesson at last... GL

No comments:

Post a Comment