Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Friday 8 January 2010

A critical piece of advice that I'd forgotten...

Something just occurred to me as I bluffed my way out of yet another husng. Ok, this time I was playing a winning player and in a pot I'd 3 bet preflop I checked a dangerous looking board. I thought that this would likely make villain check back most of his range fearing a check raise and basically polarize his bets to either made hands or bluffs allowing me to check raise all in with a good amount of fold equity. He insta called my check raise (again with overcards) with the bum end of a straight. I was suprised that a winning player had made the call preflop to be honest with low suited connectors, but meh. I just remembered something that vital[myth] over at cardrunners once said. It's better to make mistakes in small pots than big ones. I think that my biggest handicap is running too many creative bluffs in large pots. We obv need to do this occasionally but I just lost a ton of chips in 2 out of 3 games by running bluffs in big pots. At these stakes players give you chips when you have the hands so why give it back when they do? This is where alot of low stakes profit comes from. Note to self: THINK TWICE before doing this again. From now on I'll try to make sure I have at least a few outs before attempting something like this, and tend to play the more weak route if I'm playing a big pot. This is obv losing me some EV but by keeping myself in these games for longer I'll surely make this back when we have a hand and villain pays us off. At least I know I'm capable and have the courage to go through with a play like that. This will likely hold me in good stead when we move up in limits.
So all of this means...
I still have an AWFUL lot of work to do on my game. I feel that I play so many hands well but undo all the hard work with spewy plays. Maybe this will leave my game with experience under my belt. Maybe I just need to work extra hard on my game to cut these errors out.
Final Conclusions
Often thoughts about the game pop into my head. Just now I remembered something I'd noticed from my pokerazor analysis. Later street play effects the preflop EV of taking a certain line with a hand less and less the further we are from the start. So shoving on a river or folding might have a huge difference in EV in a vacuum looking at that street, but look at the preflop equities and they do not change a huge amount. So if we are losing a little bit of equity in some hand on the turn or river by folding over bluff shoving it's likely not effecting the overall EV of that hand that much - and we've probably played it pretty well until that point. So if we sacrifice that nominal piece of EV and villain gives us equity in a future pot that more than makes up for it. It's often said in poker that we need to take every little bit of EV we can. This is true. But mistakes on later streets usually cost alot of chips so if in doubt, it's not going to be a big mistake just to fold usually.

No comments:

Post a Comment