Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Sunday 6 March 2011

Full Tilt problems and other distractions

... mean that I have not put in hardly any volume over the past week. The Full Tilt client is lagging really badly during play to the point that it's unplayable. Not just because I keep timing out of hands but also that I'm rushing my decisions while I am actually connected. So I need to quickly find a solution to this and get my volume going again - this will be critical in my desire to have reached $0.50/$1.00 by the turn of the year. I believe the problems lie with the modem/router upgrade I have recently acquired and the need to set some firewall rules. So far any that I have tried have not worked so I may end up using my PC as a DMZ during poker play only. This is a far from ideal and potentially risky work around though, and for that reason I have moved $2k from FTP into a bank account and will only keep a maximum ~$1k in the client for now until (or if) I get to higher limits.
So a distinct lack of posts for a long time, and I have hardly played either. But the ability to earn money at poker, even small amounts is a huge bonus for someone who is low paid like I am in the difficult financial climate we are in so I owe it to myself to put in that volume. This week will see my return to the v-felt. GL

7 comments:

  1. Since I switched to Virgin I've had an absolutely rock solid connection to Full Tilt. Before I was using a wifi ADSL router to BE Unlimited (also hindered by a shitty phone cable outside the house), giving a 2MB connection.

    The Virgin connection I have now is the 50MB one, and I don't use the wifi anymore since it could only deliver 20MB (not that 20 is slow, but it was also patchy & I couldn't rely on it tbh). Hard wired it's 45MB-50MB all the time - no lag, amazingly solid.

    So I don't know what improved things the most - I definitely suspect ditching the wifi was a good move. I doubt the the massive bandwidth makes any different. However I'm also leaning towards BE being a very poor ISP along with their crappy router (alcatel speedtouch I think?)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I currently use a wifi ADSL router using AOL. I never had a single problem until I changed device, and despite every single other app seeing large improvements in internet performance FTP (the app I spend the most time using obv lol) has suffered horrendously. The unfortunate thing about hard wiring - and I'd love to do it - is the distance between my PC and the phone connection. Living arrangements unfortunately don't allow me to plug straight into the phone network. Someone suggested a network plug but I'm dubious. What do you think?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, I heard about that network over the mains thing ages ago but it never seemed to emerge into the mainstream. But now you can actually buy the bits to do it yourself - cool!

    Looks like it's about £70 from Maplin, which is kinda that annoying price range where it's a lot of money if it doesn't help. If you were playing 100nl then you could write it off as a single bad beat ;-)

    I liked the review on the Maplin site where they said they had internet in their garden shed now...

    Can you temporarily try hard wiring for a bit to rule out the wifi connection?

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah I guess I could, but will have to wait until I get a free afternoon or day off so may have to wait until the weekend. Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know how I get on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmm, well I gave the PC a static IP and set it as a DMZ but that didn't improve the FTP performance at all. But then I remembered that at the time of upgrading router I had also defragged the hard disk. So I just wiped full tilt and did a full reinstall and so far (very short session) things seem a little better... Hopefully it's not a false dawn because being unable to play Rush poker is seriously pissing me off LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see it's better now, but another thing I remembered is that if you have a lot of neighbours then their wifi can really mess yours up if it has conflicting channels. I downloaded an app for my android phone that showed what was in use around me so I could select a channel rather than leaving it on auto. Trouble is though it depends on whether they have their router on or not, so it can make it very intermittent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. good advice, much appreciated! I might just do this anyway it can't hurt. Thanks

    ReplyDelete