Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Sunday 13 March 2011

Frustrations Mount Up

Terrible run continues, and also struggling to control tilt. This is the problem from having a stretch of a few tens of thousands of hands running so far under EV, it's much more difficult to cope with the downswings since I have nothing to fall back on. At 10NL when things went more smoothly, I was at least able to say... Well, I've already won 25 buy-ins, should easily ride this out. Well, since I've only won 15 buy-ins (and should be 30) I could easily go on a downswing and wipe all of that profit out - my biggest downswing across limits being 15 BIs so far. So my decisions are currently being driven by fear and frustration which is bringing the quality of my play down.

Today I started the session in good spirits and feeling and playing pretty well. But as the onslaught of negative equity situations continued I just lost control. One pot I massively overplayed 99 on a low board against a terrible opponent and another I hero called a river line that made no sense when I should have held my discipline and folded (since villain was very straight forward). At this point emotion completely took over. Luckily for me I understood what was happening and I decided to stop playing and vent on here. I think that I prob tilt spewed two buy-ins in total including those hands just discussed so I guess I should be happy that I was able to stop it so soon.

The question becomes, how can I keep up the volume and my control while the poor run continues?
- I'll play shorter sessions and have more breaks
- At the mere hint of tilt I'll need to sit out for 20 mins or so
- Play some sessions back at $10NL
It really is a horrible feeling, I'm so glad I don't play professionally right now as it would be having a massive effect on me away from the tables. I hope that my blogs over the next few weeks will give some idea about what it's like to go through a poker recession the way I am.

Of course it could be that I'm just not a winning player. The evidence I have though - my success at 10NL and the positive upwards EV line in my database - is that I should be beating this limit comfortably. After another 100K hands (or ten weeks play) I will know one way or the other.

One more thing, earlier today the software froze again. All week it had been playing fine so I decided to try Meteoric's suggestion about switching router channels. Well I did, and it seemed to improve the FT response - so thank you sir. I would never have thought of that other wise. GL

No comments:

Post a Comment