Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Monday 21 March 2011

Horrible Frustrating Session

God this game is NOT treating me well this year. Poor session, I was intending to show the hands but another small HEM gripe is that I could not put the hand histories into poker hand replays nor display them here without showing my screen name which I'd prefer to keep anonymous. I could go through and delete it but that's too much effort. So I'll provide a brief summary instead.

I had one inevitable hand where I got all-in with a pyranha - an aggressive fish - who was playing most hands and I had KK versus AJ on a J44r. KK no good. Two other hands I think a better player would have found a fold. One hand I 3b a loose passive fish and I had AA, and he called. Board ran Ts7d3d and he called the c-bet, turn came 6 and at this stage I'm convinced I'm up against JJ-KK and so I committed myself by betting the turn. He shoves over my bet and I puke. By this stage I've put well over half my stack in so I called, but even given how much money I'd put in - the stats I had on villain suggested he played very passively post flop and I think I could have saved the $10 and folded.

The final hand was kind of interesting, but I definitely think I should have saved a bet. I 3-bet a hijack raiser with 8s9s. I think this may have been a mistake as villain showed a tendency for calling in his stats. Once I noticed this after the flop which was Td6d2d monotone I decided not to put any more money in but on the turn I hit a straight with the 7s. Villain checked to me for the second time so I thought I could value bet the straight. The river paired the ten and suddenly he leads pot into me. At the time I had ruled out flushes assuming he'd bet these on the turn. I really couldn't decipher a reasonable range but villain's general passiveness should have encouraged me to fold but again I called and he indeed showed a flush.

So twice this evening I called a passive player on the river who'd shown extreme strength with a bluff catching hand. I don't know how many times I'll need to say it in this blog until I learn the lesson but... Against a passive player who takes an aggressive line, we SHOULD NEVER BE BLUFF CATCHING! Hopefully one day I'll learn this lesson. If I don't I'll be at this limit forever. GL

No comments:

Post a Comment