Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Friday 18 March 2011

Hmmm Hold 'em Manager?

I'm thinking of changing my database/HUD option to HEM and starting the new database immediately. When I purchased poker tracker 3 last year it was the solution that offered the most stability and accuracy over the Rush format and it has served me very well (certainly well worth the $). However, now that HEM is it's equal in Rush games and considering all of it's extra functionality (not to mention the other apps that can be used with it) I definitely think that it will be worth buying.

So the first 90k hands didn't go great. If you see the updated graph to the right, I ran over ten buy-ins under expected value in all-in pots. It's often argued that this EV curve is misleading - and this is probably true. But in full ring play a big part of profitability is found in the money made from big pots. So if we're often getting all-in as favourite but not winning (as has happened to me so far this year) it can have a large negative effect on win-rate. Still, as one of my poker playing friends keeps telling me - at least I've still made money.

One more advantage to using HEM is the ability to put rake-back as a line in the graph - one thing missing from the pt3 curve I have displayed. Over the last ten weeks I've probably earned $250-300 on top of the profit displayed there. This obv makes a huge difference to the money I've earned. And another reason why I should stop grumbling.

In an earlier post (when things were going well) I spoke about a desire to move up to $0.50/$1.00 by Christmas. I now believe this to be too lofty a goal and so my new objective is to turn a profit over the next 100k hands and if I can I'll move to $0.25/$0.50 and spend the rest of the year learning to do well at that limit. Anything higher I can look forward to next spring and beyond, there is very good money to be made at the next level. Between $15 and $30 per hour for a decent winner there.

OK, so I'm going to treat this as a new start and look positively ahead from now on. GL all.

No comments:

Post a Comment