Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Thursday 28 July 2011

Meh, Variance. Plus a Couple of Hand Histories

Things seem very swingy at the moment (perhaps a consequence of playing more hands?). I'm finding it a little harder to manage my tilt too for some reason. I'm a bit more stressed away from the tables so perhaps that is why. Anyway I'll have to keep a close eye that I don't donate too much $ if and when I do tilt.

Anyway one thing that I'd like to begin to do is post some hand histories to make the blog a little more interesting.

http://www.holdemmanager.net
NL Holdem $0.25(BB) Replayer Game#65181485236

pancoor90 ($9.75)
joricho ($25)
pinkneli ($15)
cocker1409 ($10)
Hero ($25.77)
Mossalenko ($29.82)
Aldron30 ($24.40)
POMA3AH123 ($28.70)

pancoor90 posts (SB) $0.10
joricho posts (BB) $0.25
cocker1409 posts $0.25
Mossalenko posts $0.25
Mossalenko posts $0.10

Dealt to Hero Js Qs
fold,
cocker1409 checks
Hero raises to $1.25
Mossalenko calls $1
fold,
POMA3AH123 raises to $3
fold, fold, fold,
Hero raises to $6.75

Yeah, this decision looks questionable. The thing is villain was playing most hands and had 3-bet over a third of the time facing a raise. A very aggro player basically. I figured that with the dead money the preflop caller had put in the pot, plus my equity against a gigantic 3-betting range (and a hand that will flop pretty well generally), plus fold equity from 4-betting and the fact that I had blockers to QQ and JJ made it OK. Even given all of this though, I wonder if I should perhaps have folded instead and tightened my opening range from early position. I was certainly expecting tons of folds preflop though.

fold,
POMA3AH123 calls $3.75
FLOP ($15.45) 5c 6d 4s

OK so I have no fold equity against middle pairs, but perhaps I should just have jammed anyway. If he's called with broad-ways hoping to hit then I can still make them fold. Plus I have six outs versus the middle pairs and also a back door flush draw. The jam only needs to work half of the time. At the time I just decided that my preflop bluff hadn't worked so I'd just check fold.

Hero checks
POMA3AH123 checks
TURN ($15.45) 5c 6d 4s As
Hero bets $19.02 (AI)

I felt that this was a pretty damn good bluffing card so I fired. At the time I still figured most of his preflop calling range was likely to be middle pairs and broadways and only needed to fold out half his range, but perhaps the flop check gives up his range as being more like Ax? I'm sure that he'd have folded some of the time. This coupled with my flush draw equity probably makes my play OK (in that it's not a complete spew) but perhaps I should have checked again.

POMA3AH123 calls $19.02
RIVER ($53.49) 5c 6d 4s As Ah
Hero shows Js Qs
(Pre 45%, Flop 30.2%, Turn 20.5%)

POMA3AH123 shows Ac Td
(Pre 55%, Flop 69.8%, Turn 79.5%)

POMA3AH123 wins $51.49

Given what he shows down with perhaps my turn shove is too thin. Sure, the fact that he's called with ATo preflop means he would probably also have called with tons of other broad-ways and middle pairs and folded to the shove but I think there are perhaps too many Ax combinations in his range for it to be OK.

I'm not that happy with this hand, I think the preflop 4-bet bluff was too thin and also the turn shove. I don't think either play was a big mistake though.

------------------------

http://www.holdemmanager.net
NL Holdem $0.25(BB) Replayer Game#65181301722

Tomjibk ($29)
Bornbu ($10.85)
Hero ($25)
vasyaman00 ($27.05)
V-TWIN1340 ($22.39)
ALVIPO ($39.39)

Tomjibk posts (SB) $0.10
Bornbu posts (BB) $0.25

Dealt to Hero Kd Qs
Hero raises to $0.75
fold, fold, fold,
Tomjibk calls $0.65
fold,
FLOP ($1.75) Jc Td 3d
Tomjibk checks
Hero bets $1.08
Tomjibk raises to $3

Villain is a regular in the games. For him to check raise an UTG c-bet on this board I figured him for a set basically. I thought there's an outside chance he could be doing this with a flush draw, but what combos could he have given that I have the Kd? Maybe two combinations out of the lot. Anyway I am getting enough direct odds to draw another card so I do.

Hero calls $1.92
TURN ($7.75) Jc Td 3d 4d
Tomjibk bets $4.75

Anything but a diamond and I fold, but now I just think I have enough equity to call again. Any 9, Ace or diamond and I'd figure to be good. Note I have no fold equity so raising again would be horrible. It's one of those situations where I can call if I think I have enough direct or implied odds but I have to fold otherwise.

Hero calls $4.75
RIVER ($17.25) Jc Td 3d 4d 9s
Tomjibk bets $20.50 (AI)
Hero calls $16.50 (AI)
Tomjibk shows Jd Qd
(Pre 29%, Flop 69.7%, Turn 84.1%)

Hero shows Kd Qs
(Pre 71%, Flop 30.3%, Turn 15.9%)

Tomjibk wins $48.25

So he really did have one of the two flush combinations. I remember being very suprised when I saw his hand, given there were so little flush combos that I'd assigned him. Seriously probably AdQd and QdJd were the two combinations of flush draws he could have. The questions arise when considering if he'd perhaps have checked the turn with all of his sets when the third diamond came out. I wouldn't have if it was me, I'd have continued to fire my sets to get value from over-pairs plus diamond draw. I think this stack off is forgiveable.

---------------------

Before I show the next hand, I had some history with villain in question. He'd called a button 4-bet in the small blind and donked on the flop - a bet that committed his stack so I had no fold equity. I had AK and on a dry board I'd have shoved all day but it was Q98 with a flush draw so I mucked.

http://www.holdemmanager.net
NL Holdem $0.25(BB) Replayer Game#65183961506

TorinsBane ($50.44)
88_berkut ($12.25)
Schnurzpiep ($23.07)
tibi_c87 ($25.35)
ChumaV ($11.67)
KrazyBeer ($11.11)
KyzyaMastak ($9.75)
Hero ($25)

TorinsBane posts (SB) $0.10
88_berkut posts (BB) $0.25

Dealt to Hero Qs 9s
fold, fold, fold, fold, fold,
Hero raises to $0.75
TorinsBane raises to $2.25
fold,
Hero calls $1.50

So he's 3-betting me a TON from the blinds. At some point I have to start calling. If he'd bet to 2.5 or 2.75 I'd probably have folded but QTs and J9s are mandatory calls against an aggressive 3-bettor and I have the button so Q9s is playable IMO.

FLOP ($4.75) Kd 6c Tc
TorinsBane bets $3
Hero raises to $6.75

I flop the gut-shot straight draw and an over-card to the ten so I bluff raised expecting a lot of folds. But again, he floats my raise out of position and donks the turn...

TorinsBane calls $3.75
TURN ($18.25) Kd 6c Tc 9h
TorinsBane bets $6.75

At the time I expected this to be a bluff some % of the time given the previous hand where I'd folded. He was leading out of position often, not just against me and not always for value. So not only do I have outs to the best hand (I really did think that any Q or 9 would be good enough) but I also have showdown value now too.

Hero calls $6.75
RIVER ($31.75) Kd 6c Tc 9h Qd
TorinsBane bets $30.21
Hero calls $9.25 (AI)
Hero shows Qs 9s
(Pre 44%, Flop 36.1%, Turn 93.2%)

TorinsBane shows 4d Ad
(Pre 56%, Flop 63.9%, Turn 6.8%)

Hero wins $48.25

At this point if he's got a jack then good for him. I don't think I'd ever have played a hand this way against any one else. I had to use specific player traits to get to this showdown. I think that perhaps raising all - in on the turn may have been a better play. I found this hand really interesting. I'm not thrilled at the way I played it but I don't hate it either.

No comments:

Post a Comment