Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Tuesday 26 July 2011

3-Betting at the Stars' Micros

In the Stars' micro stakes games, opponents share a tendency to call 3-bets. In particular when raising from the button villains are only folding around 65% of the time when facing a 3-bet which means that I'm not making immediate money from my bluffs. Not only this, but my continuation bets are working only about 25% of the time.

I seem to have a habit of almost always c-betting in a 3-bet pot. I'm not sure where this comes from, I'd not noticed it before. For some reason in this situation I have this urge that I must win the pot and therefore bet nearly every single time. Clearly given the evidence in my database, this has to be a spew.

In any situation where there isn't enough fold equity we need to be raising a value heavy range. In this particular situation we are often raising a value heavy range preflop which is fine but then bluffing too often on the flop. Flop c-bets in 3-bet pots don't get any credit for what ever reason. So perhaps this calls for a complete change in approach? Perhaps when we play 3-bet pots out of position we should check raise our entire continuing range? I'm pretty sure when our villains call with whatever junk preflop they will nearly always bet with the entire range when we check. So if we decide to check raise around 60% of flops with the hands we want to felt and also those with good bluff potential (that is plenty of good turns to shove on should he call) then this looks to me like a much better approach.

Hmmm, I'm going to mull this over tonight and perhaps trial this method for a few thousand hands. GL

Edit: Well I ran some tighter filters this morning in the database to have a really close look at the board textures I was c-betting on; with the exception of a couple of pretty weak looking folds facing a raise which looked pretty close from an EV point of view I totally agree with my play in pretty much every spot. It looks like over this small sample size I've either flopped good enough equity to c-bet, I've been dealt a dream flop from a fold equity point of view (ace high, king high, paired board etc) or had a dead easy value bet. So as far as my high c-bet numbers are concerned it's just variance.

This doesn't change the fact that my opponents are not folding that often when facing a 3-bet, but it's some comfort that I still seem to be playing OK in that spot. This is something that I'll re-examine once I have a bigger sample of hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment