Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Saturday 14 November 2009

Played a little tonight.

Sharkscope searching - well I bought a load of sharky searches a while back and thought I'd use some and try and table select well tonight. Was able to start one game against a regular loser and won easily when I flopped trips and he stacked off straightforwardly. But other than that I used up about 30 searches and every player seemed a winner. This made me scratch my head and start thinking... in my usual over analyzing way. Well, since good players should practice table selection... Does this therefore mean that the "table - joining" pool of players contains, on average, more fish than the "already - seated" pool of players? It does seem that many good players sit first. Well after that mini epiphany I sat at a table and was instantly joined by a big losing player. Statistical fluke? Or does my theory hold some truth? It would certainly explain how the big heads up winners can table select so easily.
New personal staking plan.
Basically I'm going to - for better or worse - play any heads up sit no gos up to about $30 buy - in, and use a 200 buck stop loss each month to decide when to quit if I'm on a losing streak. I am convinced my knowledge for this game is such that I should at LEAST be able to break even with the rakeback I'm getting. If I'm any fraction better than that I might start making some moneys. I just decided it's time - given my knowledge - that I should add a little risk to my investment instead of always taking the uber cautious line. So I'm making a thin value bet. I think that in the long run I'll play enough losers to make me a small edge. The truth will only be found in the results. What ever happens I'll certainly be a much better hold'em player at the end of the road. Wish me luck :)

2 comments:

  1. The last 500+ games I've been flat lining. Sharkscope is both sick and very sick. How's the heads up play going? Played any $30 yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. not yet, I think I'll structure the investment in a way that I am using up a small percentage of it to begin with and gradually increase stakes over the month should things be going well. In other words so I don't blow the money in the first week with seven losers in a row, lol. I'm suprised that you're flat lining so far, do you think that it's the extra rake? Have the players got good? I feel that in 9 man sngs now everyone playes the same nitty early aggro late style which must be exploitable. Was wondering if reversing that strategy might now be correct... Earning chips while players are uber tight - playing a maniac style early - and then waiting for big edges before risking the extra chips you've accumulated later on. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete