Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Thursday 26 November 2009

Growing Some Coin - Taking the High Risk Line

Using poker as a high risk investment
I have a pretty safe monthly income which doesn't pay that well but gets the bills paid. I have long been thinking that I need to take more risks with poker to try and make a few thousand dollars extra per year. HUSNGs seem the best investment currently and I've been looking at how to aggressively move through the limits to try and maximise the potential earning. In other words I think that there are faster ways to grow money than taking the strict 100 buy in route. I am quite comfortable moving up and down stakes. The strategy I am considering using is a strict 10% investment. My bankroll on absolute is currently $230. If we invest a maximum of 10% at a time we can currently play the $20.7 HUSNGs. Should we increase this figure to over $300 we can then move up to the next stakes. If however we were then to suffer a downswing and our roll fall below $300 again we instantly move back down to the $20, and if it continues through this part of our roll we move back to the tens etc. I've seen this approach written about before. There is no guarantee we will not lose our entire bankroll. There is some risk of ruin there. But this isn't my job, it's just an investment. It's also possible that we could go on some insane heater and make a few hundred pretty quickly. Also, I can supplement this approach with part of my monthly income. If we ever finish the month down on the initial $200 I can top up again. Anyway, if this is what I decide to do I'll let you know. The players who rise quickly to the nosebleeds must have taken significant risks early on.

No comments:

Post a Comment