Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Monday 16 November 2009

Investment Portfolios

Structured Poker Investment
Was looking at ways to make some moneys from investment and read about portfolios. It seemed like a good way to structure a monthly investment in poker. We split our money into three groups - high / medium / low risk. For example, if we wanted to invest $200 a month we could play one $30 game (high risk), three $20 games (med risk) and eleven $10 games. Now, this is only fifteen games and we'd obv like to play more than this, so we'd have to reinvest with whatever money we have left. If we make profit on the first $200 we can rinse/repeat or take bigger risks perhaps. If we lose some money we can take the cautious line to ensure we don't lose our entire investment. I quite like this 15/30/55 split between the risks so each time we reinvest we could use this guideline for splitting up our money. I like the sound of this approach. I don't think it's going to guarantee any extra ROI but it's a good way of allowing us to take some risks without getting carried away.
Bankroll management
We could also apply this thinking to bankroll management. Instead of taking the "hundred buyins minimum" line which is obv a safe way of growing money - we could certainly allow some of this total to be used at higher stakes. I've heard many coaches preach that you should never take shots, and some that think you should. I don't see why you shouldn't providing it's done in a structured way.

No comments:

Post a Comment