Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Friday 13 May 2011

Hmmmmm. I'm a Nit again.

OK I swear I posted something last night and it's not here... I think I'll call the Ghostbusters. (as a side note, that was my favourite film growing up. Awesome. So glad they're making no 3 with original cast members!!)

Just played a good session, 3k hands or so. But just looking at my database I only played around 12% of hands. This is very tight, close to what I used to play at 10NL after I first started out. Whether this is a consequence of variance or whether my hand ranges will converge on this number over a large sample I'm not sure. If I do find that I'm this tight after a few more thousand hands then I'll have to revise my late position ranges somewhat because - while I'm convinced that this is loose enough to make money - I think a more ideal number is 14%. However one thing I have noticed by playing this tight is how much stronger my ranges are on average.

Rush poker is a battle between trying to get your strong hands as much as possible versus not allowing the blinds to eat up your win rate. I have heard the argument again and again that nits will not win at Rush. But I have to disagree. The format of Rush means that folding has positive expected value - whereas normally it would have zero EV. What I mean is that because you instantly see another hand, there is little incentive to play the most marginal hands in your range - unlike normal ring games where it's great to play loose for deception.

Never the less, I think playing just 12% of hands is a little too tight. So I'll be keeping a close eye to see what I'm playing after another 20-30k hands and then I may have to adjust a couple of my ranges. This would be a shame - they are pretty easy to play at the moment.

I'm really enjoying the volume right now, I just got a rakeback payment of $50 which is easily my biggest ever - and all a consequence of the 8k hand session from Sunday. So expect a LOT of hands in the next few weeks. I'm loving the game at the moment. GL

No comments:

Post a Comment