Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Wednesday 15 July 2009

Turbo Takedown and DoN games

Played in a 500fpp qualifier to the Stars' Turbo Takedown but was pretty card dead and crashed; but subsequently won 3 from 4 double or nothing tournaments. Many players find these games dull; for those that have never played in them, the winning half of the field double their buy-in. Personally I find the games really interesting as they play much like satellites - the prize structure is so flat that decisions on the money bubble do not correlate with standard play. For example if we have 5000 chips and there are several short stacks (<1000) our equity is almost 20% - the amount of prize money you win. So gaining extra chips is pointless; meaning we must fold every hand, even aces.
Small personal goal - I aim to play 500 or so DoN tournaments and I'll post my progress on here along with any hands that might be interesting eg if I have to fold aces. Hopefully we'll show some good return on investment (ROI) since I'll be playing microstakes. A little research has shown me that 12% seems to be the current upper bound on ROI at these stakes and also that variance seems quite low compared to ordinary games.
If any terms or lingo here appear unfamiliar or confusing then my apologies; I'm not here to instruct on these things and there are various excellent websites that can explain for me. Search poker/ texas hold 'em/ sit n' go on google.

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff Si! DoN are well boring, but if you turn a good profit I might invest. I might update my blog soon but running bad/bad beat posts were getting boring. Everyone wants to hear won X$ and lost X$.

    Looking forward to some HHs!

    ReplyDelete