Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Tuesday 6 April 2010

Difficulty in playing short stack poker

Just played two final tables. On both tables there were alot of fish limping a v. wide range of hands. Not only this, they were rarely folding to any action. ICM suggests that you need to be shoving a really tight range against multiple limpers on the bubble. Now, if this is happening every hand, how are we supposed to win chips? We just cannot let the blinds eat away our equity, so at some point we need to just take a stand with a hand that fares OK versus their range IMO. Let's think about it a little... 20% of the time at a full final table we'll be in the blinds. If we always wait for a top 5% hand or top 10% hand we'll just be pissing away equity, will we not? Is this right do you think? Just now I shoved KJ from the BB (with about 5BB stack) into three players who were limping most of the time. I'm assuming I'll get called here, and often be in reasonable shape (since most hands that dominate mine will raise preflop). Plus if any of those players fold there's a heap of extra dead money that we can pick up should we win against a range where our equity is likely to be reasonably close. The only other option is to lose equity to the blinds and hope to pick up a top 5% hand. I'd rather have a little bit of gamble at this point and try and double + dead money up. ICM has this as being wrong, but then again it doesn't account for the general play of the table (which is loose and bad) or the future equity lost to blinds. This is probably where I need to get a little coaching. Overall my bubble play is reasonable, but being v. short at a loose table is a spot that causes me alot of difficulty.

EDIT: Ok, I played around with the KJo hand in sngwiz and adjusted the standard opponent model for each villain to something more realistic. It turns out that according to ICM pushing there is actually OK given a few things (like we're not including the top few hands in their limp calling range). So maybe my thinking wasn't too far off after all. I'll continue to look for situations like this and put them through this tool and hopefully this will improve my final table play.

No comments:

Post a Comment