Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Wednesday 7 April 2010

A Couple of Tricky Hands



Starting out preflop, both blinds were very loose. I feel I should have raised a little more since they were calling with a very wide range. 2x is my standard bet size sub 20BB stack in a tournament so my decision to make the preflop raise this size was autopilot really. On the flop, against many players I wouldn't be committing but versus two loose players it's v. conceivable that I'm up against a weaker pair/flush draw combo so I think I need to be committing. So I sized my bet on the flop so that I could shove for value on the turn and get weaker pairs/flush draws to call. Unfortunately he flopped the straight flush. I don't think my play is terrible, I do think that there are weaker hands that will call my turn bet. Next hand I'm less sure about:



Again beginning preflop, it's actually +EV chip equity wise to shove here (even with 20BB stack) because both my villains were seeing around 30% of flops. I'm beginning to think that against two players who were limp calling standard raises with such a huge range that it would be better than seeing a flop where we'll always be facing way ahead way behind decisions like this one. When we get to the flop we have to feel we have the best hand most of the time. So what's our best line? I'm really not sure, this villain was just aggressive enough that I fancied he could reraise my bet with draws since I'd been c-betting with a high frequency. I also thought that weaker pairs might just shove here occasionally. Betting a little smaller and folding may have been better - some villains would only ever raise trips given that it looks like I'm not folding. I could also check call two streets and allow draws and air to bet or check call and check fold on the turn. Really this is quite a tricky situation, and the more I think about it the more I wish I'd just shoved pre. Of course I hate that I get it in drawing to two outs on the flop. Sigh, more improvement needed. Any thoughts would be welcome.
EDIT: Right, I've made my mind up. Versus two wide limping ranges that do not include the top few hands SNGWiz thinks we can shove {44+, A9+, KQ} for an avg. of around 400 chips profit each time. A better result I think than having to play difficult flops out of position versus two very loose players. Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment