Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Wednesday 11 August 2010

I Sense Improvement!

That Janda video (last post) has made me begin to see a poker hand in a completely different way. I have begun to view my entire betting line as a product of my entire range rather than my specific hand. This is going to allow me to move away from the fit or fold mentality for good. I can't give too much away but in the coming months and with practice using flopzilla and more combinations work I think I'll become a pretty tough opponent. In other words while my first 200k hands have been working on my 'offence' - value betting - this new approach will focus on my 'defence'. I'll begin to try to play in a fairly balanced way and once I've got this down then I can begin to push villains around in certain spots where I feel they have an imbalance in their strategy. I've often heard it said that balance is not necessary at micro limits. This is true - and I've proven it by winning over 200k hands using value betting alone. But that does not mean we should not try and improve. Playing a fairly balanced strategy allows us to navigate the streets without being overly exploitable. This means that opponents will not be able to push us around which should allow us to increase our win rate. This will take a lot of work - which I'm thoroughly looking forward to undertaking.
Last night I played a short session - around 1k hands - and for the first time in a long time I had a positive red line curve. I'm not naturally aggressive but playing the board based upon my range has allowed me to start to play back in spots I'd never have thought to before. It could have been variance, but if I can continue in this vain then I'll do a big post with a couple of graphs and some statistics from my database and try and illustrate the improvements. I guess this was one of those 'aha!' moments for me, and hopefully I can now play better and maybe, just maybe move up.

No comments:

Post a Comment