Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Sunday 31 October 2010

Poker Mindset

Well this weekend I've been working a lot and also playing Fallout: New Vegas quite a bit - awesome game by the way. As a result though I have not played many hands. But I did have a kind of revelation earlier and I think I've been approaching poker with the wrong mindset. If I have a losing session I'm usually distraught, if I have a winner I'm over the moon. But we all know that poker isn't a hand by hand, session by session game it's a long term endeavour; a marathon and not a mile. So I intend to approach poker differently from now on. Of course, I will have to occasionally check my balance to see if I have enough money to be bankrolled for the limit I plan to play. But I will try and ignore the individual session results from now on and not look at my game stats until I've played a significant sample of hands - let's say 100k. This way hopefully I can just concentrate on each individual play and get that right and the results will not affect me emotionally. I will continue with the challenge sessions as I think it makes for a more interesting blog but I'll try and keep away from the "woe is me" sentiment if I happen to lose a buy-in or two. I'm convinced my strategy is robust and will lead to profit. I try and do three things:
1/ Play a clearly superior range versus my opponents' when out of position and a break even range versus my opponents' when in position.
2/ Use position
3/ Play as well as I can post flop
Doing these things made me money at 10NL and I'm still utterly convinced the same will happen at this limit if I give myself enough time and hands. GL!

No comments:

Post a Comment