Welcome

Hello all, welcome to my online poker blog.

I've been playing on and off for a decade after being introduced by a friend.

I played regularly for a few years during the poker boom and had a decent record at the micros, particularly Rush and Zoom No Limit Hold'em games (here's one of my graphs).

Around 2012 I began a new career which involved immersing myself completely in study in my spare time, so I had little to no time for poker. However recently this burden has eased and so I have been gradually dipping back in.

I'm an amateur player who still hopes to some day beat the rake.





Sunday 4 July 2010

Understanding Betting for Protection

I have recently improved my understanding in regards to betting on the earlier streets.
We are on the turn. The pot is $100, and we have 77. Villain has KJo and the board is 3c6dQs2s. If we fire out a pot sized bet and villain folds every time then our EV for making this play is $100 dollars. If however we decide to play the pot more passively and try to showdown then if we check down to the river our equity is now only $86. Basically when we bet we have made him fold out his share of equity in the pot. It would be incorrect for him to call since he's not getting the right price to draw to six outs. If we decide to check down though he gets to realise this equity. So when we fire we are betting for protection and this is another reason why aggression is so critical in this game. Notice that we are never getting called by weaker hands when we bet, nor are we making better hands fold so this is neither a value bet or a bluff. Listen to very good poker players talk about their decisions and they'll often talk about folding out equity share. That's the same thing as I demonstrated here. For this reason I think that play on the flop and turn should be a lot more aggressive than play on the river. River play simplifies to value betting or bluffing only. My game is currently very passive on the turn and I'd like to increase my aggression there. This new understanding should help me to achieve that.

No comments:

Post a Comment